Did you know that 73% of guests believe that technology enhances their dining? Restaurant experiences are changing for consumers. It’s more important than ever to be aware of consumer trends.
The restaurant industry may differ from state to state, even street to street. But, there is something that they all have in common: the need for data. The key ingredient to success is knowing how, and when, to adapt to this changing industry.
There are so many opportunities in the restaurant space with all the latest progress. Technology, online marketing, and consumer preferences are all on the rise. We’re going to highlight the most important statistics from each of these categories.
Now, let’s cover 25 emerging restaurant statistics to keep in mind for 2020.
Restaurant Online Marketing Statistics
In 2020, restaurant owners need to have a mobile-first mindset. Consumers have a mobile-first approach to dining out and you must keep up.
Having an online presence is essential to your marketing strategy. Social media is an outlet that allows your guests to ‘eat with their eyes’. Before even entering your restaurant, consumers are discovering you through #hashtag searches. For this ever-growing landscape, we’ve laid out a few online marketing statistics. These will help you decide where to begin.
- 90% of guests research a restaurant online before dining.
- 57% of those customers viewed restaurant websites before choosing where to eat.
- 53% of guests discover restaurants through review sites such as Yelp.
- 86% of Millennials will try a new restaurant after noticing food-related content online.
- 60% of US consumers order food either for takeout or delivery at least once a week.
- 70% of consumers say they’d prefer to order from restaurants. Instead of going through third-party apps that have fees.
- 75% of guests look at menu information online.
- There are currently 330 million Instagram posts tagged with #food and counting.
A new approach to technology has arrived in 2020 and it’s here to stay. Regardless of the size of your restaurant, technology is an important aspect. Embracing the latest technology enhances your customer’s experience. It can also help your restaurant prepare for what’s next. Saving your time and money doesn’t hurt either. Here are some statistics to show how advances in technology are impacting restaurants.
- 95% of restaurateurs saw an increase in their business efficiency by embedding technology.
- A point of sale system is the most important technology to 84% of restaurant owners.
- Server tablets improve 68% of customers’ restaurant experience.
- 44% of consumers say they used a restaurant website or third-party app to place an online order. This is true for both delivery and takeout food.
- 80% of restaurants are using various types of technologies to help run their business. This includes different tools for online reservations, ordering, inventory, and analytics.
- 76% of restaurant owners are looking for labor-management features in their restaurant POS.
- 65% of restaurant guests prefer to control how much they tip.
- 54% of customers say that online reservation is the most important technology feature.
- Digital channel sales for US restaurants are on pace to reach 13% of sales in 2020
Restaurant Consumer Statistics
Consumers’ preferences are changing every day. What matters to a customer can change overnight. This relates to food preferences as well as lifestyle choices.
It’s important to stay on top of consumers’ attitudes towards restaurants. Millennials have increasing buying power and are going out to eat up to five times a week. Gear your marketing towards this growing customer segment to increase your bottom line.
Customers also want your restaurant to serve the greater good. People are making buying decisions with companies that share their values. Restaurants can take specific actions to engage with this trend. Reducing plastic intake and adding transparency to their menu is a good place to start.
- 79% of diners say “taste” is the main factor in deciding where to eat.
- 9 in 10 consumers say they enjoy going to restaurants.
- 3 in 4 consumers say dining out with family and friends is a better use of their leisure time. Rather than cooking and cleaning up at home.
- 4 in 10 consumers say restaurants are an essential part of their lifestyle.
- 7 in 10 dine out on four or more occasions.
- 51% of consumers would rather go to a restaurant with environmentally friendly food.
- 62% of guests prefer locally sourced food.
- 50% of consumers prefer the availability of a customer loyalty and reward program. This would make them choose one restaurant over another.
- 60% of guests ranked having eco-friendly packaging as important to them. In off-premise dinings such as takeout and drive-thru.
Great food, service, and atmosphere are still pillars of a successful restaurant. But adapting to consumer trends is also crucial. Modern technology, such as an all-in-one, cloud-based POS system like CAKE, can help you do that.
Today’s foodies are mobile-first and are making more socially-conscious purchasing decisions. It is important to keep up with these trends to continue bringing in more guests. Based on these statistics, take a look at your business and see where you could make improvements.
Learn what your consumers want and make the most out of your business. Find new ways to draw in new customers by downloading our free Cheat Sheet: 5 Easy Ways to Attract New Customers.